[vbox-dev] IMachine::icon

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Wed Aug 3 11:54:25 GMT 2016

Hi Ian,

On 03.08.2016 12:14, Ian Chapman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What does "octet IMachine::icon[]" actually do? The API docs are pretty
> slim, such as what format it expects etc.

It's slim, because the API implementation is there and works, but
there's no client yet which is able to handle the attribute.

The idea is that it's a PNG format icon with adequate resolution (using
something big is blocked by the API, and would cause unnecessary
settings file bloat, as the data ends up there in base64 encoding).

I would advise against using it for now, it's one of the preparations
for supporting user-provided guest OS type information, but that feature
is far from completion.