[vbox-dev] Any known problems with changing CPU core count on a Windows guest.

Rūdolfs Bundulis rudolfs.bundulis at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 12:09:05 GMT 2016

Hi,

some time ago I was struggling with weird longjmp caused crashes when
running a Windows guest in my framebuffer implementation that I could not
explain (since the jumps were made from vbox code) and couldn't solve it
here either. These crashes happened when I chaned the amount of vCPU cores
on the guest (I had installed it with one). I blamed my code and for
somewhat reason this happened only on Windows.

This weekend one of the students assigned to this project also complained
that the VirtualBox GUI crashes when he changes the amount of cores at
Windows boot up (which made me suspicious). I wonder if there is any
knowledge of related issues with this scenario? Maybe there is some code
that tries to handle this in the VirtualBox GUI and that is why I did not
see any crashes there but only in my frontend? If there is no such
knowledge I'll just continue to investigate the issue.