[vbox-dev] Chipset support for Message Signaled Interrupts (MSI)

Michal Necasek michal.necasek at oracle.com
Mon Apr 4 09:58:51 GMT 2016

Yes, but with a caveat. Though to answer such questions for yourself, consider creating a Windows or Linux VM with default settings, switching to the ICH9 chipset, and running some reasonably recent guest OS version. You'll see that it uses a mix of IRQs and MSIs.

The caveat is that PCI IRQ delivery only works through the I/O APIC (one of the reasons why the ICH9 implementation is labeled as experimental). PCI IRQ routing setup in the LPC device is missing for passing IRQs through the PIC. That could be what the "can't derive routing for PCI INT" message refers to.

Regards,
Michal