[vbox-dev] Problem with GNOME while running openSUSE as guest

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Thu Oct 22 23:59:15 GMT 2015

On 10/22/2015 03:56 AM, Michael Thayer wrote:
> Just wanted to jump in here quickly - I think that for this particular
> issue this mailing list is probably really the right place.  Obviously I
> will try to take a look at this when I get a chance; since this is a
> development list other people should feel free to investigate too.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael
>
> On 22.10.2015 10:12, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
>> Hi, I can confirm this on Debian
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=virtualbox&archive=no&pend-exc=pending-fixed&pend-exc=fixed&pend-exc=done&sev-inc=critical&sev-inc=grave&sev-inc=serious&repeatmerged=no
>>
>> we are currently getting rid of the root need for X, and I got the same issue.
>>
>> Fortunately we have a xserver-xorg-legacy package, but a proper fix would be really appreciated.

I am aware of the Debian wrapper; however, openSUSE's X group has rejected any
wrapper that allows gdm to run as root. For the moment, our "fix" is to
downgrade from gdm 3.16.x to gdm 3.14.2, which still runs gdm as root. We
definitely will need a proper fix fairly soon.

The ticket at https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/14732 describes this problem.

Larry