[vbox-dev] Problem with GNOME while running openSUSE as guest

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Wed Oct 21 18:30:33 GMT 2015

Recent versions of openSUSE are using sddm as the display manager, but X is no
longer run as root. In a VirtualBox VM, KDE works fine, but GNOME fails to
start. Version 5.0.6 of VB is employed. What seems to be a similar problem with
VMWare was fixed for Fedora at
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/xorg-x11-drv-vmware.git/tree/0002-Add-support-for-server-managed-fds.patch.
Thus far, I have not found a fix for VirtualBox.

If such a fix is available, please provide a link. If not, I would appreciate
any suggestions on where such a fix would be applied. My knowledge of X servers
is limited.

Thanks,

Larry