[vbox-dev] Announcement: VirtualBox 5.0.8 released

Stéphane Charette stephanecharette at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 22:08:12 GMT 2015

> today Oracle released VirtualBox 5.0.8, a maintenance release of
> VirtualBox 5.0 which improves stability and fixes regressions.

[...]

> See the Changelog at
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog

The changelog mentions "The command for recompiling the host kernel modules
was changed to /sbin/vboxconfig"

I've never found DKMS to work very well with VirtualBox, even though I have
it installed:

stephane at loup ~> dpkg -l | grep dkms
ii  bbswitch-dkms        0.7-2ubuntu1              amd64        Interface
for toggling the power on nVidia Optimus video cards
ii  dkms                 2.2.0.3-2ubuntu3.3        all          Dynamic
Kernel Module Support Framework

This isn't normally a problem, since I've gotten used over many years to
manually running "sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv init" on bootup after a kernel
upgrade.

But now that I've upgraded to VB 5.0.8, along with a new kernel 3.19.0-31
from Ubuntu today, I can no longer start my VMs.  VirtualBox tells me "Kernel
driver not installed (rc=-1908)" and when I try to run vboxconfig, it
doesn't seem to do anything:

stephane at loup ~> sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
stephane at loup ~> sudo /sbin/vboxconfig --help
Bad argument --help

This is a serious regression/blocker in 5.0.8.

Stéphane