[vbox-dev] VBoxManage extpack uninstall [--force] <name> doesn't work

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Thu Oct 15 18:42:30 GMT 2015

Hi Gianfranco,

On 15.10.2015 19:18, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> Hi folks, as said, "--force" is not implemented, and the call exits with
>
> Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
> VBoxManage: error: Failed to uninstall "Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack"
> VBoxManage: error: The installer failed with exit code 2: VBoxExtPackHelperApp: error: Unknown option: '--forced'
> VBoxManage: error: rcExit=2
> VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component ExtPackManagerWrap, interface IExtPackManager
> VBoxManage: error: Context: "RTEXITCODE handleExtPack(HandlerArg*)" at line 1199 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp
>

> looking at
>
> ./src/VBox/Main/src-all/ExtPackManagerImpl.cpp:2727
> the --forced is passed (while the documentation says --force)
>
> but
> ./src/VBox/Main/src-helper-apps/VBoxExtPackHelperApp.cpp:134 is not accepting that parameter.

Correct analysis of the immediate error, but the root cause is totally
unrelated (see
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=800034). There should
be no need to force uninstallation of the extpack, which is why it went
unnoticed for so long that it isn't working (since the introduction of
extension packs in VirtualBox 4.0.0, 5 years ago).

Uninstalling an extpack expects to do a rename() syscall for the extpack
directory name successfully, but instead gets EXDEV. This means that the
filesystem structure is very unexpected.

Either the Debian live setup uses a non-posix compliant union filesystem
or it stitches together filesystems in very creative ways (the extpack
directory most likely being a mount point).

Both are violating the basic assumptions of the code, and even if
forcing would be implemented I wonder if it could/should avoid the
renaming, as it's making the removal safe (effectively atomic).

Klaus