[vbox-dev] Guest Additions, co-existence of distribution and upstream versions

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Mon Nov 9 10:46:33 GMT 2015

Dear All (especially maintainers of distributions Additions packages),

I have been thinking again about our old problem with the Guest
Additions, namely how a user can simply install (i.e. update) the
"native" Additions which come with VirtualBox without interfering with
the packaging system if the guest system they are using comes with
Additions pre-installed.  My latest musings are something along these lines:

  * All files installed by the Additions would be in a single folder
(/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-<version> for the native package, and e.g.
/usr/lib/VBoxGuestAdditions for a distribution package).
  * The Additions would have contain a set-up script, which distribution
packages could run as part of their post-install, which would build and
install (to /var/lib/VBoxGuestAdditions, not to the standard kernel
module folders) the kernel modules and put symlinks into the Additions
folder in place for /usr/bin/VBoxClient and others.
  * The set-up script would also install an uninstall script as
/var/lib/VBoxGuestAdditions/uninstall.sh or similar which would reverse
the effect of the set-up script and allow in particular simple upgrading
of a distribution package to a native one without needing to touch any
files managed by the packaging system.  If this was present it would be
called at the start of the set-up script as part of an upgrade.

Do any of the relevent people (Gianfranco?  Larry?  Sérgio?  Who else?)
like or dislike any of this, or have better suggestions?  I see that it
would notably go against the trend of separating the kernel modules into
their own package or even putting them into the kernel package like
Ubuntu does.  And it would not allow upgrading from earlier distribution
packages - we would continue to ask the users to uninstall them
manually, which is the safest but not the user-friendliest solution.

Thanks and regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher