[vbox-dev] Linux, systemd and symbolic links

Gianfranco Costamagna costamagnagianfranco at yahoo.it
Mon Nov 9 10:01:59 GMT 2015

Hi,

>think that on systems running systemd, /sbin/init (if it exists at all)
>is always a symbolic link with "systemd" in the target.  Would you be
>able to give me feedback for any Linux systems you have readily
>available running systemd if this is indeed the case, and if so what the
>link target is?  Obviously no need to give identical feedback to what
>someone else has already given (for example, on my Ubuntu 15.10 host,
>"/sbin/init" points to "/lib/systemd/systemd": I don't need any more
>feedback for Ubuntu 15.10 unless you find that it is different on your
>system).

this is true for Debian and Ubuntu in general (systemd enabled)

not for older Ubuntu/Debian without systemd

ubuntu trusty

ls -l /sbin/init
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 265848 Jul 18  2014 /sbin/init

(I know this is the kind of answer you will consider useless, because ubuntu 15.10 is
really similar to Debian in this behaviour)

just my .02$

G.