[vbox-dev] OT: Re: VirtualBox forked into VirtualBox_TE ! ("Technologov" was downgraded; )

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Wed May 20 16:27:25 GMT 2015

On Qua, 2015-05-20 at 18:03 +0300, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> Similar to Linux_AC series (Linux kernel from Alan Cox), I decided to
> run my own VirtualBox TE, "Technologov Edition" series.
> TE series will be experimental for now. With possibility to maintain
> stable series later.
> If there is anyone interested to help develop VirtualBox_TE, let me know.
>
> For now it includes v5.0.0-BETA4_OSE + NVIDIA Aero patch +
> vbox-unattended patch.
>
> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=67954
>
> It includes 2 features not found in Oracle VirtualBox 5.0:
> -Fix for Windows Aero on Linux / NVIDIA hosts
> -VBox-unattended (Automated Guest OS install)

Since vbox-host-AllOpenGL-beta1-v5.0.0-BETA2.patch.txt is all about
OpenGL and Mesa3d drive .
And 3D guest drive for Linux, needs and is compile with mesa-7.2 sources
( src/VBox/Additions/x11/x11include/mesa-7.2/) , btw is (almost) the
only source code that I can't unbundle in Fedora RPMFusion packages,
isn't time to update to Mesa 10.5.5 ?

http://www.mesa3d.org/relnotes/7.2.html is from 20 September 2008 , now
that Fedora and others distributions are moving to wayland
( wayland.freedesktop.org ),  is a thing that I'm curious how VirtualBox
will support that ?

> My patches are open-source under the under MIT / X11 license.
>
> ..and just in case Oracle kicks me from their forum, I have a prepared
> backup forum at my own Qumble project:
> http://www.qumble.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8
>
> Sadly "Technologov" was downgraded from "Moderator" status into
> "Volunteer" for his hard work of pushing the limits of VirtualBox
> technology, with his own VirtualBox_TE release.
>
> For 8 years of helping and pushing the project forwards. (since
> Jan.2007,  v1.3.2)
> For opening over 50 bugs during v5.0 BETA series. The most among ALL
> the testers !
> For not being a Yes-Man, but to actually doing something new.
> For daring.

Thank you , IMHO you should try reach agreement with upstream, they are
working on that and have their organization , if is just a patches
series to 3D drives , could be an add-on unofficial , that can be
applied on official version, not a fork please :) !

Best regards,
--
Sérgio M. B.