[vbox-dev] Why Encryption doesn't change the Hard Disk format ?

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Wed May 13 10:03:49 GMT 2015

Alexey,

On 12.05.2015 13:08, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> i.e. Maybe it would be better if VDI Disk after encryption will get a
> new format "Encrypted VDI", or "Encrypted VHD", at <IMedium> level ?

So far we treat encryption entirely orthogonal to the formats, which
means that synthesizing formats would cause a lot of trouble in the API
code (which assumes that there is a 1:1 correspondence of the format
names and the backends known to the VD library, which can be extended by
plugins).

> This will make it more transparent to debug & understand a bunch of
> encryption bugs. (of which we have a plenty, in v5.0-BETA3)

Not sure how it would directly help... the relevant code still needs to
handle it correctly, and that's not related to the format names.

The GUI already shows if an image is encrypted, and if necessary this
can be added to VBoxManage, too.