[vbox-dev] Updated Automated-guest-installs for VirtualBox ! (beta5)

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 20:17:53 GMT 2015

0. Unattended core functionality itself *is* stable.

What isn't stable:
1. Installer needs work; For now installing unattended templates is a
manual task.
I couldn't figure out how Oracle kmk Makefile system works.
Is there any documentation?

2. Compatibility with Oracle VirtualBox is unstable: I defined new VM types
for Red Hat guests, like RHEL7_64, which Oracle VirtualBox fails to
understand and renders RHEL VMs inaccessible.

So if a user later upgrades to newer version of Oracle VirtualBox, and have
Red Hat VMs, they will be screwed.

I need to figure out a patch,  to allow unknown VM OS types to be handled.
Reverted to unknown OS type.

3. License is simple BSD.

4. I plan to maintain it as time permits.

5. Some pieces of the patch aren't portable to Windows hosts, and I need
help.

6. Final answer : until I solve #2,  I can't recommend this for normal
users. (But it can go into Debian-experimental under virtualbox-te name, if
you feel like it.)