[vbox-dev] Problems with porting a VritualBox frontend from Windows to Linux

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Mar 23 11:08:44 GMT 2015

Rūdolfs,

On 23.03.2015 11:25, Rūdolfs Bundulis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm porting my existing frontend from Windows (COM) to Linux (XPCOM).
> I was able to successfully plug all the XPCOM stuff from the example
> in the source tree. I am able to successfully obtain an instance of
> the API, find the needed machine and power it up. However after I call
> IConsole PowerUp I get an error which I didn't get on Windows in the
> VBox.log:
>
> VirtualBox VM 4.3.10_Ubuntu r93012 linux.amd64 (Jan 29 2015 03:52:40)
> release log
> 00:00:02.964518 VMSetError:
> /build/buildd/virtualbox-4.3.10-dfsg/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR3/VM.cpp(363)
> int VMR3Create(uint32_t, PCVMM2USERMETHODS, PFNVMATERROR, void*,
> PFNCFGMCONSTRUCTOR, void*, VM**, UVM**); rc=VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED
> 00:00:02.964523 VMSetError: Not supported.
> 00:00:03.026185 ERROR [COM]: aRC=NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
> aIID={8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6} aComponent={Console}
> aText={Not supported. (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)}, preserve=false
Stripped more of the log snippet, because what you provided isn't what
we need to tell what's wrong. The error (a not very nice one, just
saying that something isn't quite right) hints that some settings don't
make sense. The CFGM dump would most likely contain the necessary hints,
but as usual - please provide a complete VBox.log file. Doesn't have to
be part of the mail, it can be on some pastebin server as long as the
lifetime is appropriate.
> The code base is the same that worked on windows, and the log does not
> actually state what is not supported. I tried to debug the program
> using the symbol package for ubuntu, but I can only get a stack trace,
> but not walk through the code to find an exact line to see what goes
> wrong. The only big difference i see, that in Windows I was not doing
> any event pumping, while i see code that does xpcom event pumping in
> the examples, could that cause this issue? VBoxManage is able to start
> the same virtual machine fine, I did a diff on the logs, and actually
> till the error line everything is the same, no additional errors or
> info. Any hints on what am I missing?
Additionally a log of a successful run might be helpful for comparing
the logs... I hope you don't tweak too much in your custom code, because
then we can't easily help with figuring out what might be the cause.

Klaus