[vbox-dev] Parallel Usage of VBoxManage

Martin Potthast martin.potthast at uni-weimar.de
Thu Mar 12 09:09:14 GMT 2015

Hi everyone,

I am doing many calls to VBoxManage on a host running 30 headless VMs,
sometimes in parallel. The calls mostly include startvm, controlvm
poweroff, clonevm --snapshot, unregistervm --delete, and snapshot
delete.

Occasionally, a call hangs indefinitely or fails. I have not found a
way to reproduce this in controlled manner, though.

Since it works most of the time, I am wondering how I can solve the
problem. I'm thinking about putting each VM in a different user on the
same host. Do you think this might solve the problem?

Or put another way, can there be cross-talk between instances of VBox
running under different users, or are these instances completely
separated?

Any help with this issue is highly appreciated.

Best,
Martin