[vbox-dev] Buffer overflow in VBoxNetFltInternal.h

Valerio Daelli valerio.daelli at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 13:46:43 GMT 2015

Hi,

  I am working on a patch on the vboxnetflt kernel module on Linux (3.18.0
kernel).
While inspecting the code of vboxnetlflt, I found something that looks to
me like a buffer overflow.

VBoxNetFltInternal.h declares the structure VBOXNETFLTINS
and one of its members is:

char szName[1];

This array is too small to contain the network device name:

so when there is a copy in VBoxNetFlt.c:

    memcpy(pNew->szName, pszName, cchName + 1);

this copy does a buffer overflow of the character array pNew->szName.

Basically you are trying to copy a string like 'eno1'

or another interface name, into a buffer of chars with length 1.

Obviously this implies a buffer overflow.

Thank for your attention,

  Valerio Daelli