[vbox-dev] Patch to support installation on non-Sun/Oracle Solaris hosts

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Jun 30 19:32:24 GMT 2015

25 июня 2015 г. 16:33:17 CEST, Ramshankar <ramshankar.venkataraman at oracle.com> пишет:
>Also is there any notion of  build number/minor version in
>"pkg://openindiana.org/system/kernel@0.5.11-2015.0.1.15135:20150621T130732Z"
>
>OI Hipster'15
>"pkg://omnios/system/kernel@0.5.11,5.11-0.151015:20150519T142340Z"
>OmniOS Bloody
>
>I guess we can just hardcode some dummy value if it doesn't make sense
>to parse out some meaningful build/minor version.
>
>The place were we need the minor versions is for installing the USB and
>
>VBoxNetFlt (Crossbow) drivers both of which should be possible on these
>
>distros?
>
>Regards,
>Ram.
>

>On 06/25/15 02:17 PM, Ramshankar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I started looking at the patch.
>>
>> The change you made to the sed line will break the case where the pkg
>> FMRI is:
>>
>"pkg://solaris/system/kernel@5.12-5.12.0.0.0.9.1.3.0:20121012T032837Z"
>>
>> We want the 2nd occurrence of "5.12", but your new sed will retreive
>the
>> first one because it is designed to also handle OI Hipster'15:
>>
>"pkg://openindiana.org/system/kernel@0.5.11-2015.0.1.15135:20150621T130732Z"
>> i.e. the case where "-" follows "0.5.11".
>>
>> Also, the only different parse format here is for OI Hipster'15. The
>> other 2 cases (OI 151a8 and OmniOS Bloody) should be identical to
>> parsing the
>>
>"pkg://solaris/system/kernel@0.5.11,5.11-0.175.0.0.0.1.0:20111012T032837Z"
>> case.
>>
>> I'll try fix this to handle both as well as the other formats.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ram.

>originally under the MIT license
>right away.

>license, and

>change the existing license.

>and today's fix for OI Hipster changes is also trivial (beside examples
>in comments, it amounts to under a dozen symbols in the sed
>expression).

>licenses, but I do have a strong desire to upstream these fixes rather
>than maintain them separately and apply on every upgrade ;) So if this
>requires reinstating the MIT license for the patch file - perfectly
>fine with me, consider it being so. Should I change the GitHub wording
>as well?

>GitHub - I fixed the patch to apply to 5.0rc1 as well as 4.3.28, a few
>minutes ago.
>>> Thanks. Yes clearly stating that it is licensed as MIT causes us the
>>> least amount of complications for us.
>>>
>>> I will be looking at what's published here:
>>>
>https://github.com/jimklimov/vboxconfig_sh/blob/master/vboxconfig.sh.patch
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ram.

Hello Ram, thanks for looking at this :)

For OmniOS, releases for the past few years have been named 151NNN, with the ever-increasing NNN (current stable 'lts' release is 014 and testing 'bloody' is 015). So the bloody release also seen in FMRI numbers is 151015.

With OpenIndiana things are a bit more volatile since development concentrated only on Hipster, as the project team pursues large-scale rearchitecture of the distro construstion and for a couple of years they were not at a stable position to pinpoint a numbered release (but since they do provide up-to-date packages, there may now be more users of OI-Hipster than users of the latest OI 'dev'-release). Instead, they occasionally start with a new empty package repository so there is little irrelevant obsolete cruft for pkg(5) to reference and process. Current repo-based version is 2015.0, and IIRC the 1 in FMRI is reserved for unpredicted bumps and/or local user builds to override a central repo, and the next number is a build-farm build number(?).

Regarding the second question - yes, the purpose is to facilitate installation of those modules (and also I provided a fallback to use touched files for a user to enforce those installations on systems that we can't pinpoint with sed). There are quite a few illumos distros out there, whose packaging I am not intimate with (suffice it to say there are also non-IPS and non-SVR4 distros among them, although the OS/Net sources are common and so likely they would also support loading of these modules).

Thanks,
Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android