[vbox-dev] Updated Automated-guest-installs for VirtualBox ! (beta5)

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Jun 8 13:34:16 GMT 2015

All,

On 06.05.2015 22:17, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> 0. Unattended core functionality itself *is* stable.
>
> What isn't stable:
> 1. Installer needs work; For now installing unattended templates is a
> manual task.
> I couldn't figure out how Oracle kmk Makefile system works.
> Is there any documentation?

We use kBuild, which in its core is GNU make with LOTS of goodies on
top, with a strong focus on template-based rule generation. It has
proven its strength in cross-platform use and also with extremely
complicated projects (where some files have to be compiled with specific
options, and linked with some others in specific ways).

Its home is at http://trac.netlabs.org/kbuild

Due to the complexity of VirtualBox its Makefiles contain many of the
cases. It can be a big challenge to find a similar situation, though.

> 2. Compatibility with Oracle VirtualBox is unstable: I defined new VM
> types for Red Hat guests, like RHEL7_64, which Oracle VirtualBox fails
> to understand and renders RHEL VMs inaccessible.

It also changes the API (and forgets to change the UUID of IMachine,
which means that compiled API clients using the "native" interface would
crash or call the wrong method). If the UUID of IMachine would be
updated then existing 3rd party API clients using the "native" interface
would refuse to work. In other words: there is no solution which truly
solves the incompatibility.

With the API groundwork of VirtualBox 5.0 it will be possible in the
future to support multiple interface versions once several generators
and tools are extended further (no idea when we have time for this).
Then such API incompatibilities can be handled cleanly. The API wrapper
generator is designed to be far more than yet another quirky abstraction :)

> So if a user later upgrades to newer version of Oracle VirtualBox, and
> have Red Hat VMs, they will be screwed.
>
> I need to figure out a patch,  to allow unknown VM OS types to be
> handled. Reverted to unknown OS type.

Right. This area is a trouble zone, not only with such inherently
incompatible extensions. It already can happen when one downgrades to an
older VirtualBox version, which means it's not only this change which

> 3. License is simple BSD.

Previously it was MIT, but that's just a reminder. It's your change, and
therefore you're free to use whichever license you like (including
several of them).

> 4. I plan to maintain it as time permits.
>
> 5. Some pieces of the patch aren't portable to Windows hosts, and I need
> help.
>
> 6. Final answer : until I solve #2,  I can't recommend this for normal
> users. (But it can go into Debian-experimental under virtualbox-te name,
> if you feel like it.)

Thanks for that statement. Yes, it's a great feature and will be
included in VirtualBox (I'm pushing for 6.0, and I hope that this isn't
1.5 years away...). The incompatibilities can cause great frustration
and thus it's not suitable for "Joe User".

Klaus