[vbox-dev] vbox kernel modules cause hardlock on kernel 4.2.0-rc2

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Fri Jul 17 13:26:53 GMT 2015

On 07/17/2015 05:29 AM, Jon Christopherson wrote:
> On 07/17/2015 04:13 AM, Ramshankar wrote:
>> On 07/16/2015 06:15 PM, Ramshankar wrote:
>>> Oops, misread your original report. It *is* the WARN panic. I'll try to
>>> provide a test build soon to fix this issue.
>>
>> Please let me know if this build works works for you:
>> https://www.virtualbox.org/download/testcase/VirtualBox-5.0.1-101671-Linux_amd64.run
>>

>> Regards,
>> Ram.

> Hello,
>
> This build works fine on my machine with 4.2.0-rc2 kernel, thanks!

What got changed in VirtualBox for this test build to work? Could you please
provide a patch in advance of the release of 5.0.2?

Although I did not have a problem with my original tests of kernel 4.2-rcX, this
failure happened to me as soon as commit 2ecd9d29abb1 landed in my source. For
the moment, I can run by reverting that kernel commit. I could push a kernel
patch requesting this reversion, but as that commit seems to help performance
for KVM, that might not be a good idea.

Thanks,

Larry