[vbox-dev] Excessive load averages with nothing running.

Ramshankar ramshankar.venkataraman at oracle.com
Mon Jul 13 09:22:01 GMT 2015

On 07/12/2015 05:53 PM, Alessandro Suardi wrote:
> Linux bumps up load average by 1 for each process in D state - so the point here
>   is not that something is being used (it isn't), but why is
> iprt-VBoxTscThr in D state?
>
> Devs might find helpful a
>
>   $ ps auxww|grep iprt-VBoxTscThr
>
>   since that would should the kernel WCHAN where the thread is stuck.

It's not really stuck, the TSC delta thread in the support driver is
doing an uninterruptible sleep, see supdrvTscDeltaThread() function.
https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/HostDrivers/Support/SUPDrvGip.cpp

Under kTscDeltaThreadState_Listening case label; you will see that we
are doing a RTThreadUserWait() which does an uninterruptible sleep
waiting to be woken up by an event from the main thread in the
VirtualBox driver if necessary.

Does the attached patch make any difference for you?

Regards,
Ram.