[vbox-dev] D3D support in custom frontend

Rūdolfs Bundulis rudolfs.bundulis at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 11:14:19 GMT 2015

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding why my custom framebuffer
cannot use the 3D acceleration feature. I have a Windows 7 guest machine
(3D acceleration enabled, guest additions installed) and a Unity demo
application. Under the default QT GUI the application launches fine, while
under my frontend Unity is not able to create the D3D device. First I
though that this could be due to incorrect implementation of IFramebuffer,
but when I looked at UIFrameBuffer::Notify3DEvent(ULONG uType, BYTE *pData)
in UIFrameBuffer.cpp there wasn't any special magic there. Are there any
hints to guide me towards understanding the cause of this? Is there any
tracing facilities for the guest miniport driver? Also, I don't have a
window handle for my frontend since there is no actual window. If I am
returning 0 in get_WinId in my framebuffer can that mess things up?

Best Regards,
Rudolfs Bundulis