[vbox-dev] Custom Bridge Interface

Ritesh Raj Sarraf rrs at researchut.com
Tue Jan 13 13:31:07 GMT 2015

On 01/13/2015 06:39 PM, Alexey Eromenko wrote:

> Yeah.
>
> To attach to custom bridge create a loopback interface on your host
> OS, then join custom bridge with loopback,  then bridge VBOX VM with
> loopback.

Hello Alexey,

What exact loopback device you are referring to here ?

Like I mentioned in the initial post, I am able to bind the VMs network
to the host's bridge, which isn't bound to any particular host
interface. See config below:

# This bridge will is used to NAT LXC containers' traffic
auto lxcbr0
iface lxcbr0 inet static
    bridge_fd 0
    bridge_maxwait 0
    address 172.16.10.1
    netmask 255.255.0.0
    pre-up brctl addbr lxcbr0
    post-down brctl delbr lxcbr0
    post-down echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    post-down echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding
    post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding
    post-up iptables -A FORWARD -i lxcbr0 -s 172.16.10.1/16 -j ACCEPT
    post-up iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -s 172.16.10.1/16 -j MASQUERADE
    # add checksum so that dhclient does not complain.
    # udp packets staying on the same host never have a checksum filled else
    post-up iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -p udp --dport bootpc -s
172.16.10.1/16 -j CHECKSUM --checksum-fill
    pre-down iptables -D FORWARD -i lxcbr0 -s 172.16.10.1/16 -j ACCEPT
    pre-down iptables -D POSTROUTING -t nat -s 172.16.10.1/16 -j MASQUERADE
    # add checksum so that dhclient does not complain.
    # udp packets staying on the same host never have a checksum filled else
    pre-down iptables -D POSTROUTING -t mangle -p udp --dport bootpc -s
172.16.10.1/16 -j CHECKSUM --checksum-fill

Can anyone shed some light on what the crash maybe ? I encountered the
crash when trying to ssh into one of the VMs, which is when it lost
network. Surprisingly, prior to the ssh, all ping requests worked fine.

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com