[vbox-dev] Updating network interfaces list speed-up

a.urakov at drweb.com a.urakov at drweb.com
Wed Feb 25 13:16:23 GMT 2015

Hello!

We would like to contribute to VirtualBox under MIT license. We want to
suggest our changes for multiple VMs starting speed-up.

The basic idea is to take out getting of host interfaces from write lock
on host object. When many VMs are starting at the same time then
/FindHostNetworkInterfaceByName/ is called for every machine and it
updates network interfaces. So if umount of VMs is large enough then
execution time of this function greatly increases due to lock wait.

There are two /VBoxSVC/ logs in attach: before applying our changes and
after it. In every case we started 80 VMs at the same time. Statistic of
/FindHostNetworkInterfaceByName/ execution time before changes is:

Min: 0.38 s (nspr-31)
Med: 14.13 s (nspr-82)
Max: 37.70 s (nspr-188)
Avg: 15.07 s