[vbox-dev] Where have my VMs gone ?

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Wed Feb 25 13:15:11 GMT 2015

On 25.02.2015 13:41, Kerry, Richard wrote:

> Sorry, I was taken rather by surprise and alarmed by what had happened.  And I have managed to find the files and manually fix the issue, so it's not quite so urgent, though I would like to know why it happened, and what exactly happened.
>
> I upgraded from 4.3.20, I think.  I'm working on Windows 7 Ultimate.
> I had opened that first (ie VBox Manager), so I'd seen my existing set of VMs, as expected.  I'd not used it for a while and the upgrade dialog appeared.  I selected OK as VBox updates are usually straightforward.  Downloaded the installer and ran it.  No unusual dialogs, though I did have to kill a couple of applications running in the background (eg itunes helper and async notifier and a couple of others).
>
> On running up the new version of Manager the window was empty, which was rather alarming !
> So it had somehow during the update lost track of where all my VM files were.

Sounds like your user account had the environment variable HOME set
(which isn't a Windows standard environment variable).

This is mentioned on https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog and we
considered it to be a bug fix, as it wasn't ever intended to be used for
moving the VirtualBox settings. In your case it seems that you never
intended to move the settings elsewhere and got caught by surprise.

Klaus