[vbox-dev] VBoxRT.so broken TEXTRELs since 4.3.16

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Fri Feb 13 14:07:39 GMT 2015

Anna,

On Friday 13 February 2015 14:37:03 Frank Mehnert wrote:
> I'm quite sure the -nopie compiler switch of the Gentoo patches is
> responsible for these TEXTRELs. I didn't find such TEXTRELs in our official
> packages which you find on www.virtualbox.org. I checked the 64-bit Linux
> universal .run installer as well as our latest Ubuntu package.
>
> 050_virtualbox-4.3.14-nopie.patch from the Gentoo patches adds -nopie. That
> option prevents generating of position-independent code, therefore the .text
> sections needs to be patched.
>
> I propose you ask the Gentoo folks why they add this parameter to gcc.

thinking again -nopie shouldn't be responsible for the TEXTRELS, actually
this switch should remove the requirement for relocations at all. So I guess
it's some undesired side effect of this switch.

Which gcc compiler are you using to compile VirtualBox?

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher