[vbox-dev] D3D support in custom frontend

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Tue Feb 10 14:57:01 GMT 2015

On 09.02.2015 11:54, Rūdolfs Bundulis wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> thanks for the response, yeah I suspected that the path was read from
> somewhere, since running regsvr32 to unregister VBoxC.dll from
> installation directory and then registering it from my path didn't
> chagne anything, but I'm happy - it's not an issue to run my binaries
> from the installation folder, the main thing is that things seem to be
> working. Now the only thing I need is to see if I can make OpenGL
> render to a custom FBO so I can live without the window and access the
> OpenGL pixel data, but that is my issue, if I come up with anything
> interesting maybe that can be use fro you too. At least as far as I
> understand right now, due to the need of a window on the host,
> VBoxHeadless.exe does not provide any 3D acceleration support right?
 From what I understood it does work for quite a while now (at least
4.3)... all the FBO stuff should be already in place and working for
VBoxHeadless, as long as the process gets started in a context offers
working GDI/Direct3D functions.

The only question is if this does what you need or only does the
necessary work for the VRDE interface...

Vitali?
> Sorry to bother you so much, but the issue I'm more troubled by is the
> crash I get - I've already described it before but I have made little
> progress. Basically what happens is whenever I start my VM with my
> custom frontend with more than 1 CPU it crashes on Windows startup
> (longjmp_internal from Microsoft C runtime fails with unaligned stack,
> the last stack entry I saw from VBoxREM.dll was cpu_exit_loop or smth)
> - since VBoxREM.dll is built with MinGW visual studio does not help a
> lot, and when running under debug version under MinGW I also was
> unable to obtain any valuable info. With 1 CPU it always works fine.
> I've tried CRT debug heap, Application Verifier etc. to find potential
> issues with my code (since the default Qt frontend does not crash with
> the same configuration) I blame my part of the code, but still maybe
> there are some peculiarities with the COM interface. Do you know any
> bugs that have reported similar issues to what I'm seeing? Or maybe
> you can give any pointers since currently I'm kind of stuck.
>
> Again, great thanks for the support, my research would have hit dead
> end without your help, yesterday I finally finished splitting so
> thanks to VirtualBox I am able to run a single virtual 9600x5400
> display on VirtualBox (what is weird, even with WDDM drivers) and
> split/encode it to 25 displays, basically this cannot be done with
> hardware (well in terms of a single homogeneous display) so I'm very
> happy.
Could be that we're just over cautious with WDDM (assuming the behavior
of certain greedy apps) and that there is actually no hard requirement
for a 3rd buffer.