[vbox-dev] Building/using VirtualBox modules on Tails

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 07:38:55 GMT 2015

Hi there,

I've tried to use the community support but gotten no useful replies,
and this is more of a developer level question anyway..

I'm trying to fix this issue in Tails:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5606

I've gotten the modules to build and install, and when I boot up the
modified Tails, the vboxsvc and other modules are loaded. /dev/vboxdrv
exists, and looking in /lib/modules shows the virtualbox modules are
under the running kernel. Making a new vm and trying to start it,
however, fails, saying that the modules aren't loaded (possible
version mismatch). I don't get any extra logging on stdout/stderr to
tell me what is missing / what it's looking for.

What logs/options could I use to debug what's going on? Is there any
documentation I missed for this?

Thanks,
-Austin