[vbox-dev] VirtualBox Windows build instructions

Maarten Hoes hoes.maarten at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 16:21:42 GMT 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Valery Ushakov <uwe at stderr.spb.ru> wrote:

> Maarten Hoes wrote:
>
> > pinging/connecting to an outside host like www.google.com *still*
> > fails for the previously created vm, even though what appears to be
> > the same settings are working for the bridged adapter vm that I
> > created with this debug release
>
> Intersting.
>
> Meanwhile https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/14395 has just been filed,
> implicating the firewall.  Obviously, if your case, when it works for
> some VMs and not for others, pinning the blame on a firewall is
> harder, but just in case, do you have any firewall software?

I have anti virus software installed that includes a replacement/addition
to the standard windows firewall (Norton Internet Security). I already
ruled out that this is causing trouble, as I completely uninstalled that
software during an earlier troubleshooting session.

> Please, can you attach respective VM config files and VBox.log files
> of an "old"/broken and "new"/working VMs to
> https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/14261

Im not so sure that that is the same issue; that bug describes something
that was introduced with version 5, my issue was across multiple 4.x 5.x
versions. Also, on my system it used to work (including version 5), and
then somehow I broke it.

Anyway, here are the configs in the attachment 'configs.tar.gz'. It
includes a 'failing.vbox' (the old/broken vm) and a 'working.vbox' (the
new/working vm).

Also, I uninstalled the debug build and re-installed 5.0 with the same
results : failing old vm's and a working new vm.

- Maarten