[vbox-dev] How-to build a GA module to reconfigure guest's IP address ?

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Wed Apr 29 10:45:34 GMT 2015

Alexey,

On Wednesday 15 April 2015 16:19:40 Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> Trying to figure out what would it take to program a GA module to
> reconfigure guest's IP address from host, at run-time ? (no sys-prep)
>
> In Linux guests it is a nightmare...
> but it could be very useful.
>
> Applications like Open-Stack, all the various clouds and GNS3 could
> benefit tremendously from this feature.

I agree that this feature could be indeed worth to implement but not for
5.0. The natural place would be VBoxService. The code would probably
poll a guest property. This way there is even no code change required
at the host side ('VBoxManage guestproperty set').

But don't forget 'VBoxManage guestcontrol execute'.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher