[vbox-dev] Updating network interfaces list speed-up

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 22:22:45 GMT 2015

Hello Mr. Urakov

I have good news and bad news.

Good news:
I have tested your patch and ported it to v5.0-BETA1. (Attached.)

Bad news: performance is the SAME.

Host: Debian 6 x64. + KDE + VBox GUI + Intel Core i7 2600K + 16 GB RAM.

I have created a new VM with interface = Host only adapter "vboxnet0",
then cloned it. Guest RAM = 64 MB.
Guest HDD is empty. So boot fails immediately.

Command to clone 70 VMs:
$ for i in `seq 1 70`; do VBoxManage clonevm "ZeroVM" --mode all
--register --name "ZeroVM Clone $i"; done
70 VMs, Host-only-interface mode:

unpatched:
2:30 min boot. -- 2:33 min (2nd run)
patched: (slower by margin of error)
2:35 min boot. .. 2:34 (2nd run)

NOTE: I have started all VMs by assigning them to VM group: "Hostif
group" and started VM group via GUI.

Timed manually from smartphone, so 1 second mistake is possible. (not
via host OS timer)
--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"

P.S. That's it !