[vbox-dev] About versioning and release

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Fri Sep 19 12:55:27 GMT 2014

Hi Jaeyong,

On 19.09.2014 06:32, 유재용 wrote:
> Hello VBox,
> I would like to bisect between two versions (4.2.20 and 4.2.22) for finding a commit that arises a bug.
> (GfxBench in Windows8 does not work in 4.2.22 but works fine in 4.2.20).
> So, I downloaded the svn repo but I'm failing to find a svn revision that matches to 4.2.20.
> I thought it is around r49681 because it is the similar date to 4.2.20 release date, but it looks like there is a huge difference of guest driver between
> the downloaded tarball of 4.2.20 and r49681.
>
> Is there a way to figure out what is the svn revision ID of 4.2.20?

No. The reason is simple: the public svn repository does not cover any
VirtualBox release branches, it only contains the development "trunk".
Sure, most changes in a release branch are backports of a nearby trunk
change, but that's not guaranteed. Sometimes it takes months of testing
and improvements until we consider a change good enough for production.

For releases, we provide a tarball, so you can at least figure out what
changed between 4.2.20 and 4.2.22.

Klaus