[vbox-dev] VNC Extension: make Windows text cursors visible

Yonathan yonathan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 17:27:04 GMT 2014

Hi Vitali,

An extension that implements VRDEMousePtr will receive the AND mask
and 32-bit XOR image as you say. But an extension such as VNC that
only implements the old VRDEColorPointer will get a 24-bit color mask
with no alpha channel. (These callbacks correspond to RDP’s New
Pointer Update vs. Color Pointer Update.) The VNC extension cannot
tell whether there used to be an alpha channel, but if it wants to use
those pixels with AND=1 (patches 0001 and 0002) then it must ignore
the semitransparent pixels somehow.

I have attached the cursors that I have been testing with. Without
patch 0003, the color on the transparent half gets inverted (becomes
pinkish white) in VNC. With patch 0003, they just become invisible.
Granted, it never looks good given the alpha threshold and blending
with black. But at least it should not do something too unexpected.

Cheers,
Yonathan