[vbox-dev] "An invalid or unaligned stack was encountered during an unwind operation" in VBoxREM.dll

Rūdolfs Bundulis rudolfs.bundulis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 21:39:07 GMT 2014

Hi,

my custom frontend for VirtualBox seemed to work fine and stable but then I
started to play around with number of CPU's and memory and I started
getting "An invalid or unaligned stack was encountered during an unwind
operation" from VBoxREM.dll. I downloaded the sources for VirtualBox
4.3.18, built it for x64 debug and started debugging.

* The first weird thing was that I could not find a .pdb file for
VBoxREM.dll, is that some kind of special .dll? I have pdb files for
VBoxC.dll and friends under "out\win.amd64\debug\stage\debug\bin" but I
can't find one for VBoxREM.dll.

* The stack trace is (I know it won't give much help):

  ntdll.dll!00007ffe679ac0b4() Unknown
  ntdll.dll!00007ffe67913356() Unknown
  msvcrt.dll!__longjmp_internal
() Unknown
> VBoxREM.dll!000000006fb0f3c4() Unknown

The frontend does not have any output from VirtualBox on stdout or stderr
and the logfile also does not show any errors.

Could anyone provide any pointers how should I approach debugging this?

Best Regards,
Rudolfs Bundulis