[vbox-dev] GIM (Guest Interface Manager) in VirtualBox

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Wed Oct 8 08:14:47 GMT 2014

Hi,

On 07.10.2014 22:56, Zver, Ble wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have installed win7 and win8 as a guest on vbox.
> I have tried to use GIM (Guest Interface Manager).

You've lost me with your 2nd sentence...

Which VirtualBox version are you using? Anything officially released
doesn't have GIM yet.

> I wanted use hyper-v
> compatibility interface in vbox from my win7/win8 guest.
> But all time when i try to write to hyper-v hypercall interface i catch
> exception.
>
> Should I enable somehow GIM (Guest Interface Manager)? Is this interface
> still support? How can I use it?

Of course this needs configuration, but only the development version has
the support, which is work in progress. Only time will tell how much of
the functionality we can implement.

In any case, blind access to the hypercall interface without doing the
necessary availability detection is bad style. Also, hyper-v defines
lots of capability bits, making more or less everything optional, and
that means that you need to check those carefully. We might not
implement what you want.

Klaus