[vbox-dev] Would it be possible to create a python3 bindings for VBox?

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Oct 6 17:17:14 GMT 2014

On 06.10.2014 18:47, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> Why python 2.3 ?

Because it's the oldest which ever worked, I think with RHEL4U1 or so.
Note that the older ones aren't as high priority, as long as 2.5 - 2.7
have been tested.

> The oldest supported host is RHEL5, so perhaps we should target python
> v2.4.x + ?
> http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=redhat
>
> I suggest dropping python 2.3.x support from VirtualBox 4.4.+

Support is a bit too strong - it's just known working, not frequently
used :)

> Also, for me, building on RHEL 5 host is next-to-impossible due to
> loads of missing dependencies (Qt4), but RHEL6 or Debian 6 are more
> realistic (targetting python 2.6.x).
> Would that be good ?

That'd work - it's only one data point, but building VirtualBox
everywhere is definitely challenging. We spend quite some time to find
working Qt4 etc. packages.

> Alternatively: could you use your builders to provide me with  RHEL5
> x64 build of python3.x-patched VBox (non-main, but side-branch), so I
> test python 2.4 ? (please use multi-distro installer, so I could try
> other host distros also)

That's doable, too. Hope later this week or so I can help. The problem
with the multi-distro installer and python is that there's only one
binary per version, and python 2.x is world famous for an infinitely
incompatible ABI between even linux distros. Definitely only useful in a
before/after comparison, because there might be existing breakages
already. Only the distro specific packages are really guaranteed to work.

Klaus