[vbox-dev] How to use HostChannel?

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Oct 6 15:57:17 GMT 2014

Hi,

On 25.09.2014 12:28, DRACULAX wrote:
> I read the source code and find virtualbox implement a module call
> hostchannel, which is a part of HGCM and used in VRDP implements.
>
> But it seems this module can not be used like the other part of HGCM
> such as clipboard and sharefolder and so on.
>
> I wish to write a dll in windows to communicate which my guest system
> through self-defined hostchannel.
>
> Is it possible? Why the team not provide the hostchannel interface for
> developers?

This is doable (in the easiest way by packaging up an extension pack),
and there is some documentation about HGCM in the SDK manual. I think
there have been a few users which wrote their own HGCM services.

There is not much sample code for standalone HGCM, simply because we
don't have any 3rd party services - the people who worked on it didn't
contribute it.