[vbox-dev] Would it be possible to create a python3 bindings for VBox?

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Oct 6 15:44:52 GMT 2014

Hi Alexey,

On 30.09.2014 08:48, Frank Mehnert wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
>
> On Tuesday 30 September 2014 00:05:46 Alexey Eromenko wrote:
>> The problem is -- upstream GNS3 v1.0 has moved to python3,
>> and intends to drop python2 bindings for VBox, and use VBoxManage instead.
>>
>> It would help us, if VirtualBox could support python3.
>>
>> http://forum.gns3.net/topic12204.html
>
> I think that's a great opportunity for an external code contribution. At the
> moment and in the near future the Oracle VirtualBox team has no resources to
> work on Python 3 bindings.

In fact there is already a pending contribution, see Ilya Kulakov's mail
from April:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.virtualbox.devel/6710

The problem with integrating this contribution is that it needs more
time than we have to test it for regressions with the zoo of (always
slightly incompatible) python 2.x versions starting with 2.3. Breaking
the "bread and butter" 2.5-2.7 is simply not an option, which is why
we're hesitating until someone can do the re-validation.

Cheers,
Klaus