[vbox-dev] Difficulties with building VirtualBox 4.3.18 for Linux

Markus Elfring Markus.Elfring at web.de
Fri Nov 7 12:42:54 GMT 2014

Hello,

It seems that I can not log into my account for the bug tracker again so far.
https://www.virtualbox.org/query?reporter=elfring

So I try to clarify the following issues by the means of this mailing list.
I stumbled on these surprises during a build try on my openSUSE system.

1. Would it help to mention the kBuild software also as a prerequisite?
   https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux%20build%20instructions
   http://trac.netlabs.org/kbuild/timeline

2. Config.kmk:
2.1 A version check is performed in this make file.
    Which script should be responsible for setting the variable
    "KMK_REVISION" appropriately?

2.2 More settings are expected to be passed from variables in the
    environment configuration.

2.3 How should the command "include $(PATH_OUT)/DynamicConfig.kmk"
    be resolved?

2.4 Is an out-of-source build approach supported?

3. env.sh:
   Some environment variables are set by this script. Will they only work
   as expected in the corresponding make files if names will be used there
   with a leading "K"?

Regards,
Markus