[vbox-dev] tool for converting .vdi to .img raw format

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Wed May 14 16:25:45 GMT 2014

Janusz,

On 14.05.2014 18:12, Mgr. Janusz Chmiel wrote:
> Dear developers,
> Do You think, that somebody of us would try to develop little
> application, which would be able to convert .vdi virtual harddisk image
> to Theraw image format?

Wonder why anyone would waste time on implementing functionality which
is already easily available in VirtualBox...

VBoxManage clonehd /path/to/src.vdi /path/to/dst.img --format RAW

> .img My next Question is.
> Why it is not possible to change The size of virtual harddisk if it is
> created by using Oracle vmvirtual box GUI?

I don't understand the question. VirtualBox can resize a subset images
of VDI and VHD format, as long as they are not created as "fixed size",
see the VBoxManage modifyhd documentation.

> Thank You very much for Yours answer.
> If You know about free procedure for Windows or Linux, which would
> enable me to convert .vdi harddisk to .img raw image format please let
> me know.

Let me know what's the use case for raw images... Image formats without
metadata are annoying to handle, cannot ever represent snapshots
efficiently, and from my perspective are only relevant for compatibility
purposes.

Oh, and I wonder if its extra effort to create mails which are SO hard
to understand because there are typos and editing leftovers everywhere :)

Klaus