[vbox-dev] tool for converting .vdi to .img raw format

François Revol revol at free.fr
Wed May 14 16:23:30 GMT 2014

On 14/05/2014 18:12, Mgr. Janusz Chmiel wrote:
> Dear developers,
> Do You think, that somebody of us would try to develop little
> application, which would be able to convert .vdi virtual harddisk image
> to Theraw image format?
> .img My next Question is.
> Why it is not possible to change The size of virtual harddisk if it is
> created by using Oracle vmvirtual box GUI?
> Thank You very much for Yours answer.
> If You know about free procedure for Windows or Linux, which would
> enable me to convert .vdi harddisk to .img raw image format please let
> me know.

While the VBoxManage "convertfromraw" subcommand is documented in the
manual, there is also the opposite but it is stuffed in a
developper-related subcommand:

vboxmanage internalcommands converttoraw

Typing this on the command line should give you the usage info.

Also, qemu-img should be able to do this as well.

François.