[vbox-dev] GPU virtualization now possible

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Tue May 13 08:49:09 GMT 2014

On 13.05.2014 03:28, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> Intel did a great breakthrough recently with GPU virtualization with
> Intel Iris Pro 5200 series.

Breakthrough? VT-d and API forwarding are old hats, the former doesn't
allow any kind of sharing which means it's out for most of the users,
and API forwarding is already available.

The GVT-g approach is so far not known to be feasible in a type 2
hypervisor, so only a thorough analysis of the truth behind the press
digestable message will tell if this is more than hot air for VirtualBox.

> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY4MTc
>
> I would love to see this in VirtualBox, as it would allow me to play
> Windows games from Linux, without rebooting. (And without instability of
> Wine)
>
> In addition,  Haswell CPUs ( Core i7 4770 ) support nested
> virtualization,  VT-in-VT.

It's still a giant amount of work, as when Intel says "support nested
virtualization" it always implies that a lot still needs to be done in
software.

Klaus