[vbox-dev] License issue regarding VirtualBox using commercial product

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Fri May 2 12:04:48 GMT 2014

Jaeyong,

On 30.04.2014 02:31, 유재용 wrote:
> Hello VirtualBox,
>
> I'm not sure this topic is proper in this list, but since I don't find a
> relevent (user) list, let me just go for it.

It's not really a dev question (the forums probably would be a good
place), but as I guess it's interesting for some people in the audience
let's answer it here.

> I've read the link: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Licensing_FAQ, and
> I've got several questions.
>
> 1) What kind of extension features do you commercially provide?

That's answered on
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#intro-installing

Most people need the USB2 support, but as there are so many uses of
VirtualBox it's hard to make generic statements.

The list will grow over time. Strictly speaking features such as webcam
and smart card reader passthrough are also in the extension pack,
however their audience is relatively small and would confuse most users
reading the manual.

> 2) If we just use VirtualBox base package in our commercial product, is
> there no commercial license issues to VirtualBox since, in that case,
> only GPL2 is applied?

That's allowed ("only GPL2" is a simplification, there are components
with other licenses in the binary, all compatible with GPLv2 of course).
Keep in mind that unless you buy an appropriate number of extension pack
licenses plus the early support fee (which covers the entire product,
including the base package) you have only access to the community
oriented web sites (forum, bug tracker) which are all operated on a best
effort basis.

Klaus