[vbox-dev] IPS package

Thomas Gouverneur list at espix.net
Mon Mar 31 21:06:39 GMT 2014

Ram,

Thanks for your answer.

1. Yes

2. Yes, considering that
you need to run an 'svcadm restart virtualbox-run-once' service that
gets installed with the first installation. Then, when an upgrade is
done, this service is responsible to upgrade drivers and/or services at
its next start. (so either manually, or, indeed after a reboot).

Does
that make sense?

--Thomas

Le 2014-03-31 13:49, Ramshankar a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the work and the heads up, but before I look
into this, a couple of questions:

> 1. Does the installation work
without requiring reboots (drivers are loaded and active after
installation)?

> 2. Does upgrading VirtualBox versions work without
requiring reboots (old drivers are unloaded, removed and new ones are
installed and loaded) ?

PM, Thomas Gouverneur wrote:

>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm writing today
because I've been asked some time ago to write a converter from SVR to
IPS packages for VirtualBox to allow the installation of VirtualBox and
of the extension pack through IPS. I wonder now if this work can be
useful upstream too?!

https://github.com/tgouverneur/VBox-SVR2IPS [1]
>> And an example
repository can be found there:
http://mdma.igh.cnrs.fr/vbox/en/catalog.shtml?show_all_versions=1&action=Refresh
[2]

>> The repository has been built with the VirtualBox.org's
packages converted using the scripts present inside the GitHub
repository listed below.

>> NOTE: This repo has only been tested
with Solaris 11.1.

>> Any idea with who I could start the discussion
to see what would those package be missing to allow a possible upstream
adoption, so we can all have IPS upstream packages of VirtualBox in the
future?

>> Thanks,
>>
>> --Thomas

--Thomas