[vbox-dev] What's up with 4.3.8 and VBOX_USE_SYSTEM_XORG_HEADERS=1

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Tue Mar 25 07:24:15 GMT 2014

Hello Sérgio,

I will "top-post" here, as I can no longer follow the thread below.  A
bit of investigation around our 3D driver for Linux guests shows the
following.  The code should still work against the very latest versions
of Mesa.  The reason that the headers in the X server source that you
were using to build it without our bundled headers have disappeared is
because the X server was also bundling them (in a rewritten form), much
the same way as we are, and they have done a significant re-write of
their GLX code (I haven't yet investigated what you reported about them
having moved in the X server code).  The interfaces are still present in
Mesa, where they originally come from.  I do still plan to clean up
there in quite a major way, but I really can't say when.  The list of
"more important" things I have to do remains roughly constant, with new
ones appearing about as fast as I can finish older ones.

I also found that 3D is still working on Fedora 20, and I expect it to
be working on Fedora 21 too, though I haven't yet had time to verify
that.  So that is probably not the reason for the slowdown reported by
Quickbooks.  A colleague is planning to investigate that if/when there
is time.

Regards,

Michael

--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineering
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher