[vbox-dev] A Dockerfile for building VirtualBox

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Fri Jun 20 10:58:32 GMT 2014

Jon,

On 16.06.2014 17:12, Jon Seymour wrote:
> G'day,
>
> This might be interesting to some people - a Dockerfile that will
> builds the VirtualBox sources within a Docker container which contains
> Ubuntu 14.04 and all the required build dependencies.
>
> https://github.com/jonseymour/vbox-build
>
> Suggested improvements can be listed here or as a github issue.

Had a quick look (not very detailed), and generally it looks good.

Not terribly convinced that line 32 in the Dockerfile is the ideal solution:
RUN bash -c 'ln -sf $(cd /usr/src; ls -d linux-headers-*-generic | tail
-1) /usr/src/linux'

This looks very much like a hack for me. I can see that on a generic
build environment there's little point in depending on the running
kernel's version, but such symlinks can be causing other trouble.
Setting the KERN_DIR env variable sounds like the clean solution to me.

Klaus