[vbox-dev] Monitor count limitations

Rūdolfs Bundulis rudolfs.bundulis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 09:48:47 GMT 2014

Hi,

I'm developing a system that needs to run a headless VM with a large number
of attached monitors - currently the GUI has the limit to set maximum
monitor count to 8, I didn't check the COM API myself but I suspect that it
will not allow me to set the count greater than 8, while browsing the
VirtualBox sources show that the internal C macro is defined to 64:

/* this should be in sync with monitorCount <xsd:maxInclusive value="8"/>
in src/VBox/Main/xml/VirtualBox-settings-common.xsd */
#define VBOX_VIDEO_MAX_SCREENS 64

Is there really a need to limit the count to 8? If I change the xml schema
file and increase the count from 8 to 64 and recompile would there be any
actual limitations in the VirtualBox core?