[vbox-dev] IMachine methods in source code?

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Fri Jun 13 17:44:08 GMT 2014

Johannes,

On 11.06.2014 14:38, Johannes DeWitt wrote:
> Thanks you for your perfect explanation.
> I wanted to use stdio.h because i was looking for a way to read some
> values from outside, while a virtual machine is in runtime; so my idea
> was to use the fopen function to read values from a normal file (txt or
> something).
> But now i understand why i can't use stdio.h (kernel mode etc).
>
> So, in VMMAll/ is it IMPOSSIBILE to read a value from another file? I
> read your answer, i understand that a possibile way is from tm struct,
> but if i need to use a value that can change in rumtime? My achievement
> is to read (in VMMAll/ ) value from an external file, and read this
> value more times, and this value can change during the execution.

I'm not following... you talked about modifying VMMAll/TMAll.cpp, which
is about timekeeping for the VM - and if you think you can read a file
(kernel or not) in such a context without seriously messing up the time
behavior then the understatement I can find is "optimist" :)

In any case, accessing a file from kernel mode is not portable in any
way, and thus I don't even want to think about it.

> For example, i need to execute a part code ONLY when i want, so my idea
> was to write ( in a VMMALL/ .cpp file) code like this:
>
> x= get value from external file MYVALUE (xml or somehting) (in this
> file, the value is 0)
> if (x) { do something;}
>
> every time virtualbox execute this code, nothing happend.
>
> after a while, from extern i change the value in the file MYVALUE (from
> 0 to 1)
> Now, when virtualbox execute the code above, it enters in the {do
> something;}
>
> I hope you can understand my example.

I think I do... it's super abstract and I can't be sure.

The proposal in my previous mail still applies: put variable x in the
VM/... structure, and add a way to tweak it from userland, e.g. with
"VBoxManage debugvm" (something inspired by "VBoxManage debugvm
injectnmi" maybe, or by hacking the handling of "VBoxManage debugvm
info", as that'd have already parameters, and you can register such
internal info handlers with DBGFR3InfoRegisterInternal - see
VMMR3/TM.cpp - which of course isn't meant to change anything
significant related to the VM etc. structures, but I can't see any
police :) ). The machine debugger is where I would add such hacks, as
the rest of the code has more clearly defined interfaces which
intentionally aren't as easily abusable.

I know this is more than 2 minutes of work, and I humbly ask for
apologies that we don't have the "do what I want" feature implemented (yet).