[vbox-dev] default path (was Re: IMachine::setSettingsFilePath not supported?)

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Wed Jul 2 15:16:26 GMT 2014

Warren,

On 01.07.2014 15:31, Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2014, Klaus Espenlaub wrote:

>> Ancient VirtualBox versions default to ~/.VirtualBox/Machines, and
>> newer versions default to ~/VirtualBox VMs, but stick to the old
>> default if it's an upgrade. One can switch to the new default though,
>> or pick a totally different directory.
>
> If there is a chance to change that default, please consider removing
> the space character from future versions.  It is problematic on systems
> that normally use spaces as delimiters, involving extra quoting.  The
> space really does not improve the readability of the directory name.

Unlikely that there's any change of defaults in the foreseeable future.
I don't think that in today's world the stripping out of a space just to
make sloppy scripting slightly simpler is a valid justification.

If you want a different default machine folder, set it in your
environment before creating VMs, and that's all you need. It will be
remembered across updates.

Klaus