[vbox-dev] IMachine::setSettingsFilePath not supported?

Karoline Haus karolinehaus at yahoo.de
Wed Jul 2 07:18:25 GMT 2014

Hi Klaus,

Yes, the way I'm doing it now is to change the default settings path before I import a VM, and then change it back to the system default. I had figured that way myself already :-) It is OK and it does work for now.

I use VBOX 4.3.12 under Gentoo Linux, and I think that is the current VBOX version, isn't it?

Thanks for your help.

Karoline

Klaus Espenlaub <klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com> schrieb am 12:23 Dienstag, 1.Juli 2014:

Karoline,

On 30.06.2014 13:53, Karoline Haus wrote:
> I would like to be able to create a VM under a specific folder. In fact,
> I would like to import a VM from an OVA file, and then have that VM
> registered under a specific folder. However, by default VBox will store
> it under $HOME/.VirtualMachines and I cannot figure how I can use the
> API to change the settings file path on VM import? I have seen there is
> an IMachine::setSettingsFilePath function, but I use the Python API and
> it does return a "Not Implemented" error. Is there any other way to
> store VMs under a specific location?

Changing of the settings file path for an existing VM is a todo, it
needs a lot of groundwork (moving disk images in the directory and the
like).

What you want is setting the default machine folder before importing,
maybe reverting this change afterwards (if you want locally created VMs
still in the default place).

I'm wondering why your setup uses a .VirtualMachines subdirectory, I
don't see this anywhere in the code. Ancient VirtualBox versions default
to ~/.VirtualBox/Machines, and newer versions default to ~/VirtualBox
VMs, but stick to the old default if it's an upgrade. One can switch to
the new default though, or pick a totally different directory.

Klaus