[vbox-dev] Error in 4.3.8 regarding new handling of environment variables for processes on Windows hosts

Andreas Löffler andreas.loeffler at oracle.com
Fri Feb 28 15:19:41 GMT 2014

Hi,

just a quick follow-up: We found and fixed the issue. The bugfix will be
available in the next upcoming maintenance version.

Thanks again for the report,
Andreas

On 27.02.2014 09:49, Magnus Madsen wrote:
> Hi!
> I have discovered a problem regarding the new handling of environment
> variables for creating GuestProcesses using Guest Additions 4.3.8. The
> problem does not occur when using VirtualBox 4.3.8 with an older version
> of the Guest Additions.
>
> The issue is that processes are started with no environment variables at
> all - not even the ones that are specified for standard processes. This
> causes a lot of things to fail on Windows, because a lot of built-in
> functions depend on certain environment variables being set.
>
> For instance, trying to call the Windows Script Host fails with the
> non-descriptive message "Execution of the Windows Script Host failed.
> (Not enough storage is available to complete this operation. )"
> I discovered this particular message is related to the SystemRoot
> variable not being set for the WSH process.
>
> I assume this behavior is not by design, as I would expect the
> environment arguments given to a GuestProcess simply to overwrite the
> specified ones. If this behavior is intended, I believe we do need a way
> to start a process while keeping the standard environment variables.
>
> Please let me know if you need any further information, thanks!
>
> Magnus

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Andreas Löffler          | VirtualBox Engineering
Senior Software Engineer | Oracle Virtualization

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Schiffbauergasse 14
D-14467 Potsdam, Germany

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Geschäftsführer: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher

Green Oracle <http://www.oracle.com/commitment>
Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that
help protect the environment