[vbox-dev] Error in 4.3.8 regarding new handling of environment variables for processes on Windows hosts

Magnus Madsen madsen.magnus at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 08:49:01 GMT 2014

Hi!
I have discovered a problem regarding the new handling of environment
variables for creating GuestProcesses using Guest Additions 4.3.8. The
problem does not occur when using VirtualBox 4.3.8 with an older version of
the Guest Additions.

The issue is that processes are started with no environment variables at
all - not even the ones that are specified for standard processes. This
causes a lot of things to fail on Windows, because a lot of built-in
functions depend on certain environment variables being set.

For instance, trying to call the Windows Script Host fails with the
non-descriptive message "Execution of the Windows Script Host failed. (Not
enough storage is available to complete this operation. )"
I discovered this particular message is related to the SystemRoot variable
not being set for the WSH process.

I assume this behavior is not by design, as I would expect the environment
arguments given to a GuestProcess simply to overwrite the specified ones.
If this behavior is intended, I believe we do need a way to start a process
while keeping the standard environment variables.

Please let me know if you need any further information, thanks!

Magnus